With FASTag, long queues and traffic jams at toll plazas are now a thing of the past. Affixed to your vehicle’s windscreen, FASTag uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to collect toll payments automatically. This initiative by the government has gone a long way towards improving the efficiency of national highways across the country. All you need to do is get a FASTag for your vehicle, recharge it with sufficient balance, and enjoy a seamless travelling experience without the hassles of carrying cash or waiting in toll queues.
Read on to find out more about how FASTag works and how to get one for your vehicle instantly.
FASTag: How does it function?
FASTags are affixed to the windshields of the vehicles and communicates with sensors at toll plazas. When a vehicle passes through a toll plaza, the sensor detects the FASTag and deducts the applicable toll charge from the prepaid wallet or savings account linked to it. The whole process takes just a few seconds.
This facilitates hassle-free, automatic deduction of toll charges, thereby saving time for commuters and optimising efficiency at all toll plazas. FASTag also ensures the transparency of toll charges paid by every commuter at each toll plaza, which are maintained digitally.
FASTag can now be used to pay for parking too
Parking payments via FASTag is accepted at various centres across major cities in India, including Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, and Mumbai. This facility is available at selected airports, shopping malls, and commercial plazas. Since FASTag is linked to your wallet or bank account, the parking fee will be automatically debited when the vehicle enters a FASTag-enabled parking facility.
Additional benefits you get with FASTag
– Most FASTag issuers offer instant SMS alerts for low balance, recharge confirmations, expiration, etc., to help users recharge FASTag on time and avoid any penalties.
– Access to an online customer portal to view FASTag wallet history, check balances, and more.
– A validity of 5 years means that you can use the same FASTag for a long time without having to worry about renewing it.
How to get FASTag online instantly?
Following are the steps to apply for a new FASTag:
- Visit the website of a bank/authorised dealer offering the FASTag facility
- Click on Apply now
- Choose Personal Vehicle and click on Continue
- Fill in your mobile number and provide the OTP you receive
- Provide your KYC details: Name, date of birth, PAN or Aadhaar
- Provide your address details: Address/ID proof (driving licence/voter ID/passport)
- Enter your vehicle number
- Check your details and verify them
- Complete the payment through UPI/net banking (or the method requested) to complete registration. The FASTag cost can vary, depending on the type of vehicle and the seller
- Once your payment is processed, you will get the FASTag via courier
The Indian government has been taking the initiative to bring this FASTag system into prominence, and for good reasons: it offers the convenience of a cashless payment system, promotes efficiency, reduces traffic congestion, and improves safety on Indian roads. Just make sure you keep your FASTag account sufficiently funded, so you do not end up waiting or paying penalty at the toll plazas!