The COVID 19 pandemic brought the world to a standstill for the better part of 2020. High rates of infection have pointed out to the many gaps existing in healthcare systems around the world. Attention was also drawn to the gaps in current health insurance policies when dealing with the new demands of this disease.
To deal with the situation, the IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) has made it mandatory for all insurance companies to offer a standard form of coronavirus-specific health insurance plan called Corona Kavach Policy. This health coverage plan promises to bring much relief from the soaring medical expenses that arise due to hospitalization from a COVID-19 health complication. Let’s take a closer look at what the Corona Kavach Policy offers you.
What does the Corona Kavach Policy cover?
The Corona Kavach Policy covers illnesses related to infection from the novel coronavirus. The coverage includes:
- Pre-hospitalization expenses up to a period of 15 days
- Post-hospitalization expenses up to a period of 30 days starting from the day of discharge from hospital
- Home care treatment for cases that have been diagnosed as COVID-19 positive
- Consultation fees for telemedicine
- Expenses for PPE kit, masks, and other similar protective gear as required
- Ambulance transport costs
- Treatment by AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Siddha, and Homeopathy)
The Corona Kavach Policy can be purchased as an individual health insurance plan or as a family floater plan. The sum insured starts at Rs 50,000 and goes up to Rs 5 lakh.
What is the coverage period of the Corona Kavach Policy?
The Corona Kavach Policy offers health insurance for a period of 3 ½ months, 6 ½ months, and 9 ½ months.
Who can apply for the Corona Kavach Policy?
The Corona Kavach Policy can be availed by anyone between the ages of 18 and 65 years. You can add your spouse, senior parents, and dependent children (up to the age of 25 years) on this plan.
Are there any limitations to the Corona Kavach Policy?
Yes, there are certain limits to the Corona Kavach Policy. These are as follows:
- The policy will exclude any claims made for a coronavirus infection that was diagnosed before the start date of the policy
- No coverage shall be offered if the insured person has travelled to a country that has been restricted by for entry by the Government of India
- No claims can be made for treatment based on COVID 19 tests that have not been done at government authorized diagnostic centres
- Day care treatment and OPD charges are not included in the scope of coverage
- No coverage is provided for diagnosis and treatment done outside the country
- Costs of unproven or unapproved treatments are not included
This is an overview of the main features of the Corona Kavach Policy. Given the current situation where the pandemic shows no signs of abating, it would be wise to invest in this short-term health insurance policy. We hope this article will prove helpful for you. Stay indoors and stay safe!